Tips for reducing your environmental impact when travelling
It is becoming more and more important for us all to consider the impact we have on the environment when we travel.
By being aware of this impact, we can decide what to do to reduce our environmental impact when away from home.
“You have the choice to become a responsible traveller,” says Tony Rubin, Managing Director of Maropeng. “And it’s a lot simpler than you think. The Apple Green Globe App, for example, is available to help those looking for sustainable hotels, conference centres and tour experiences. It tracks down accommodation that has the highest green credentials. This is super handy for local destinations like Maropeng that support responsible tourism.”
Along with looking for appropriate accommodation, Rubin suggests the following eco-friendly travel tips supported by the Heritage Environmental Rating Programme:
• Avoid using an air-conditioner as much as possible and use a fan instead.
• Never leave an A/C on when you are out of your hotel room.
• Use a shower instead of a bath and avoid turning on or leaving on hot water heaters.
• Take all rubbish with you and don't litter.
• Buy only large bottles of drinking water and use it all up before buying another.
• Try to visit at least one local attraction, the farther away the better. They depend on your cash.
• Never ever feed wild animals and birds. They may lose fear of humans and be killed later by poachers.
• When shopping try buying from only small local shops to spread money in the local area.
• Avoid using car transport where possible. If you have to use one then share one with the locals. Walk or use a bicycle instead.
• Try eating out in small local restaurants so your tourist money goes to local restaurant owners.
• Tip generously as many hotel workers are paid the minimum wage per day.
• Don't give money to children. Rather contribute to local development programmes or a community trust.
• Show respect for local culture and sacred sites.
COMPILED ON BEHALF OF MAROPENG BY CATHY FINDLEY PUBLIC RELATIONS. FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT NICOLLE KAIRUZ ON 011 463 6372 OR TESSA@FINDLEYPR.CO.ZA.