Maropeng wins tourism industry awards
The Maropeng team with their awards
Maropeng, the official visitor centre for the Cradle of Humankind, scooped seven of the 60 awards at the West Rand Tourism Awards ceremony last night.
The event, which highlights service excellence in the tourism industry, was held at the Silver Star Casino. This year there were 163 entries for the awards, double what was received last year.
Master of Ceremonies Bongani Bingwa said, “We are here to celebrate and recognise those who make a difference in the tourism sector.”
Maropeng’s awards were:
1. Maropeng Hotel – established hotel/lodge accommodation – winner in the 4-star category
The food and beverage team with the Maropeng Hotel’s Certificate
2. Maropeng Conference Centre – Mese category – finalist
3. Maropeng Visitor Centre – best tourism destination – winner
4. Maropeng Ramalepa, Maropeng Tourist Guide, won the Site Guides trophy for excellence.
5. Reuben Tsime, Maropeng Tourist Guide – certificate for outstanding work
6. Portia Mogamisi Maropeng Tourist Guide – finalist certificate
7. Zodwa Mtshali, Maropeng Tourist Guide – finalist certificate
The Maropeng Tourist Guides with their awards
Zanomsa Zozi, Maropeng’s Operations Manager and mentor to the guides, says, “I am so proud of my young team of self-starters, especially Maropeng, who has only been guiding for a year. These awards send out a very positive message to other youngsters in the townships that a career in tourism is a viable and rewarding option.”
An emotional Tony Rubin, Managing Director of Maropeng, says, “Receiving the venue awards is an indication of the Maropeng team’s commitment to working together to make our visitors and guests feel special. It was also very rewarding to see how our team reacted every time the name Maropeng was mentioned. We are all so proud to be members of such a great team.”
With 2010 on the horizon the Maropeng team will continue to strive towards new service excellence heights.